The little girl in the blue dress is possibly Henri Rousseau’s beloved granddaughter, Jeanne Bernard-Rousseau. The portrait is genuine.
The photograph below was taken when Jeanne was perhaps 2-5 years of age. There was a striking resemblance to Flower Child / Enfant de Fleur as soon as I saw the photograph. But I have no proof. You can decide for yourself. The world may never know.
I was very pleased to receive the following two emails from Erwan Le Sommier (from France ?):
” Jeanne Bernard-Rousseau was my piano teacher when I was kid in Cherbourg .
I would never forget her : great artist and a so kind person. She makes a
musician from me. She only had had two little statues of angels, present
from her grand-father, standing on her piano.”
“I unfortunately cannot tell you more about her mother or grand-father as I was her very young pupil and we rarely talk about them. I own Yann Le Pichon’s book and think it’s the closest source to her souvenirs (his grandmother and Mademoiselle Bernard were very close friends).”
Thank you for these emails ! I am sure many people will enjoy them.
I hope to write a chapter about Jeanne Bernard-Rousseau when I have more time.
Enfant de Fleur: Authentic, Unretouched Portrait by Henri Rousseau: GO TO PORTRAIT
Enfant de Fleur/Flower Child: Child Portraits Compared: GO TO CHILD PORTRAITS
Enfant de Fleur/Flower Child: Fine Art Investment Opportunity GO TO OPPORTUNITY
Contact Page GO TO CONTACT PAGE
1. The Story of a Man determined to be one of the Greatest Painters in France GO TO PART 1
2. Born in FRANCE|Kings & Castles|Revolution|Napoleon|Victor Hugo GO TO PART 2
3. Henri Rousseau | His Family and Childhood GO TO PART 3
4. Henri Rousseau | SOLDIER BOY GO TO PART 4
6: Henri Rousseau | Sunday Painter | Love and Life in Paris GO TO PART 6
7. Henri Rousseau | Six Children Died / Only Julia Lived Past Age 18. GO TO PART 7
8. Henri Rousseau | Paris Customs Office (The Douanier) | Painting on the Job GO TO PART 8
9. Henri Rousseau | 1884 – not good enough | The French Art Salons GO TO PART 9
10. Henri Rousseau | 1885 Debut | 1886 A Carnival Evening GO TO CHAPTER 10
11. Henri Rousseau | Adieu, Mon Cher Amour. GO TO PART 11
12. Henri Rousseau | 1889 World’s Fair GO TO PART 12
13. Henri Rousseau | 1891 | Surprised! GO TO PART 13
14. Henri Rousseau | Looking for Love in Paris | 1893 | Moving to Montparnasse GO TO PART 14
15. Henri Rousseau | full-time painter | “War” in 1894 | Julia: “Au revoir, papa” GO TO PART 15
16. Henri Rousseau | Ambroise Vollard – the art dealer GO TO PART 16
17. Henri Rousseau | Alfred Jarry | More on “War”| Paul Gauguin GO to PART 17
18. Henri Rousseau | 1895 Paintings |short Autobiography GO TO PART 18